This tutorial explains how to translate sites that are built with the WPML Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual All you need to do is configure WPML to translate ACF’s fields, including the repeater fields and flexible fields.
One of the most important features of WPML’s integration with Advanced Custom Fields plugin is the ability to translate the repeater fields. The following image displays how this is easily done using WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor.
WPML Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual On this page
- Requirements and installation
- Making the ACF fields translatable
- Setting the translation preferences for ACF fields
- Setting the translation preferences for Repeater and Flexible fields
- Translating ACF fields
- Translating option pages custom fields
- Translating ACF blocks
- Translating ACF user interface
- Translating other parts of the interface
- How to handle images and other post object fields
- Known issues with Advanced Custom Fields
- Getting help
WPML Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual Requirements and installation
If you are a site owner working with a developer, ask them to check and set up the requirements listed in this section. For you, the Translating the fields section is the most important one.
You need the following plugins installed and activated on your site:
- The ACF plugin (latest free or pro version)
- Multilingual CMS version of WPML. Install the WPML core plugin plus String Translation and Translation Management add-ons.
- The Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual (ACFML) plugin. ACFML is a bridge plugin that makes WPML and Advanced Custom Fields plugin compatible.
WPML’s Getting Started Guide will help you in setting up WPML in a few minutes. You might want to refer to some of its subtopics later on, such as String Translation and Finding strings that don’t appear on the String Translation page. We recommend that you keep this guide open while following this tutorial.
The setup of the ACFML plugin is simple. You can download the plugin on the WPML site, from the Download section of your Account page.
The ACF documentation will provide you with all the information needed to set it up and use it.
For a better translation experience, activate WPML Advanced Translation Editor. You can do this on the WPML → Settings page, in the How to translate posts and pages section. There, select the Use WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor option for the new content and click Save.